Sunday, April 19, 2009

Introduction

Welcome to Board the Ark. We have been counseled to have a years supply of food on hand to take care of our families in trying times. But, where do we start? This is a question that I have spent a great deal of time researching and I would like to share what I have learned. What do I need in a years supply of food? What am I going to do with 400 pounds of wheat? How long will my food last? Where should I purchase my food? These are all questions I have asked myself and if you have thought about your food storage I'm sure you have asked yourself the same questions.

If your choose to follow this blog I will be updating it regularly with recipes, tips, and current sales. But, to get started it's important to know what and how much you need. It's also important to be able to track what you have and what your needs are. I created a spreadsheet to help my family do just this. It has been very useful for us so I wanted to share it with you. You can download it by clicking on this link. Or you may use Google Docs by clicking here.

I hope that this information will be helpful to you. As we have followed the prophets and built up our years supply we have be blessed with a feeling of peace and security, and we have had fun along the way. If you've never thought grinding your own wheat could be classified as fun stay tuned.

4 comments:

  1. You're awesome, Sheri. I added this to my google reader immediately. By the way, I also went and bought up the pasta at Smiths last month after we were talking. Still need to dry ice pack it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been envying yours and Shalaun's organization skills. I will download the spreadsheet and fill it in.

    When you get to that point, ask me for how to get free buckets for storing food in...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheri,
    I think this is so great. I am so glad that Alex and I finally have a place for food storage. I will come back often! I love your recipes. By the way . . . I still need that kabob marinade. Oh also, Brenda and I are making a cookbook with family favorites. Want to include some in it. We were going to give it to our mom and your mom. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sheri,

    What a great blog. Starting our food storage was one of our families New Year's Resolutions. I am using your spread sheet to track our progress. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!

    Andrea

    ReplyDelete